At Fannie Mae, futures are made. The inspiring work we do makes an affordable home a reality and a difference in the lives of Americans. Every day offers compelling opportunities to modernize the nation's housing finance system while being part of an inclusive team using new, emerging technologies. Here, you will help lead our industry forward, enhance your technical expertise, and make your career.
As a Lead Quantitative Modeler, you will work with a small engineering team to develop and improve innovative digital products within our Single Family Mortgage Division. You will be the technical owner of our residential property valuation and appraisal quality models which are leveraged both internally and by thousands of lenders to ensure that appraisal values are grounded in reality in order to avoid the rampant overvaluation that took place preceding the Great Recession. You will leverage quantitative techniques and cloud solutions to improve model performance and increase user confidence and utilization.
You will be apart of our Digital Incubator team which focuses on developing and implementing products that improve the mortgage origination process by removing friction (automated verification) or improving Fannie Mae’s view into the future loan quality (automated collateral analysis). Our cross-functional team consists of ~40 researchers, developers, testers, and operations personnel who take projects from idea stage and bring them to market.
THE IMPACT YOU WILL MAKE
In this role you will have the flexibility to make each day your own, while working alongside people who care so that you can deliver on the following responsibilities:
- Conduct theoretical and empirical research with public and proprietary data in all areas of mortgage finance business, with an emphasis in collateral valuation and residential appraisal analysis.
- Apply mathematical, statistical, and econometric techniques to provide innovative, thorough, and practical solutions to support business strategies and initiatives
- Utilize data mining and statistical techniques to develop analytic insights, sound hypotheses, and informed recommendations to improve business performance
- Identify opportunities to apply quantitative methods to improve business performance
- Ensure modeling projects are conducted in accordance with established company policies and generally-accepted modeling practices
- Develop and implement validation strategies and assess the quality and risk of model methodologies, outputs, and processes
- Understand relevant business context to properly interpret model results, monitor performance and assess risks. Conduct ad hoc quantitative analyses, modeling, or programming using SQL, R, or Python
- Communicate technical subject matter clearly and concisely, both verbally and through written communication via white papers, reports and presentations, to individuals from various backgrounds
- Collaborate effectively, work as part of a team and across organizational lines to develop and implement solutions to meet business needs; Serve as project lead
- Work autonomously guiding teams, choosing projects, and often act as SME resource across departments or as an in-house-expert
THE EXPERIENCE YOU BRING TO THE TEAM
Education Level (Required)
- Bachelors degree
Education Level (Preferred)
- Masters, PhD in a quantitative discipline, such as statistics, economics, finance, mathematics, or physics
- 6-8 years
Advanced econometric experience including standard regression techniques (e.g. linear, logistic) and structured machine learning (e.g. gradient boosting)
Mastery of statistical programming including Python (pandas, numpy, sklearn packages) and SQL; Java experience a plus
Demonstrated ability to independently complete complex modeling projects with minimal supervision from manager
Excellent written and oral communication skills that includes delivering technical information to non-technical audiences
Experience with cloud platforms (e.g. Amazon Web Services, Sagemaker), preferred
Business knowledge of mortgage industry, residential real estate, and appraisal practices, preferred
Experience in property and financial asset valuation modeling, preferred
The future is what you make it to be. Discover compelling opportunities at careers.fanniemae.com.
Fannie Mae is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which means we are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, personal appearance, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation in the application process, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Successful job applicants will be required to successfully complete a background investigation.
Req ID: 60064