Fannie Mae provides reliable, large-scale access to affordable mortgage credit in communities across our nation. We are the leading source of funding for housing in America, which means more people can buy or rent a home. We are focused on sustaining the housing recovery, improving our company, and leading change to make housing better.
Join our diverse, high-performing team and make a difference as we work together to enable access to a good home.
The Deputy General Counsel, Corporate Governance is
responsible for providing legal advice to Fannie Mae on all governance matters
and for managing the day-to-day operations of the Corporate Governance Legal
Practice Group. This executive will have a leadership role in consulting,
advising, and representing the company on a variety of highly complex legal
matters and projects related to corporate law. As Deputy GC, you will ensure
that legal documents regarding board and Committee meetings, and other
corporate actions are prepared properly. You will also confer with executives
regarding corporate initiatives, product development, or regulatory concerns to
assess legal governance risks to the company and plan actions to control or
minimize those risks.
KEY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Accountable for providing legal advice and strategic expertise by combining skill in corporate law and corporate governance with sound business acumen and knowledge of business goals and objectives of the company.
- Researches and evaluates legal principles and precedents. Directs legal staff responsible for gathering relevant case related information using multiple sources and methods.
- Sets strategy for drafting, negotiating and standardizing legal approach to delivering corporate governance.
- Establishes guidelines for consulting with outside counsel and provide guidance.
- Facilitates preparation and execution of more significant corporate governance activities.
- Partners with internal and external stakeholders in developing policies and procedures governing corporate governance legal matters.
- Ensures appropriate staffing and organizational structures are in place by having strategic responsibilities and strong leadership skills.
- Advising the General Counsel and other members of the legal department leadership team on corporate governance matters and cross-functional legal and strategic issues.
- Communicates effectively at the highest levels of the organization with the ability to articulate key messages clearly and simply and respond both to questions and issues knowledgeably and with confidence
- Acts as key liaison for all Management Level Committee interactions and contribute significantly to Management Level Committee and Board Meeting preparation and execution
- Oversees company compliance and responses to federal regulators related to corporate governance
Education: BA/BS and Juris Doctor (JD) required
10+ years of related experience
SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
Relevant corporate and governance experience in a corporate legal department or a large law firm,
Extensive legal experience in a broad range of governance issues affecting large, highly regulated financial institutions.
Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Excellent leadership and management skills.
Excellent organizational and team leadership skills.
The ability to excel in delivering timely results for stakeholders in a dynamic and fast-paced environment.
The ability to focus on both the big picture and the details, balancing risk and benefit in decision making. The ability to meet multiple deadlines and to work well with peers
The ability to build collaborative, collegial relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
Prior experience providing corporate secretarial support to a public company board of directors preferred.
As a condition of employment with Fannie Mae, any successful job applicant will be required to successfully complete a background investigation.
Fannie Mae is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Req ID: 59780