Director, Internal Controls (SOX) Processes
Are you interested in helping solve today's most critical housing challenges? In simplest terms, Fannie Mae serves the people who house America. We work at the heart of housing by providing reliable, affordable mortgage financing in all markets at all times, buying loans that banks and other lenders originate, so they can fund new loans. This gives more people the opportunity to buy, refinance, or rent homes and apartments. Creating these opportunities is what drives the people who work at Fannie Mae.
For more information about Fannie Mae, visit http://www.fanniemae.com/progress
Responsible for managing a large portfolio of internal controls activities related to supporting and managing Sarbanes Oxley Act (SOX) compliance efforts. This director is expected to demonstrate deep specialized functional area expertise in the business with moderate expertise across one or more other areas.
KEY JOB FUNCTIONS
• Plan and manage the unit's budget; approve expenditures or budget transfers. Direct development of anti-fraud programs and policies. Lead activities related to evaluating SOX compliance activities, determining root causes for problems and errors and facilitating remedial changes to tighten and enhance controls and mitigate risk.
• Recommend and monitor metrics and reporting methodologies to support tracking and trending of operational events and transactions.
• Assist the VP of Internal Controls with the management of the 3rd party testing team and perform quality assessment reviews of a sample selection of testing results and provide oversight over SOX reporting deliverables.
• Manage liaison with internal and external points of contact; provide advice at the highest level of technical complexity on critical matters related to internal controls. Report to senior management on the unit's production, activities and efforts. Represent the unit as an expert or resource to cross-functional project or coordinating teams.
• Provide direct oversight of Internal Controls Process Managers (including annual performance evaluations, periodic project evaluations and ongoing coaching and development planning). Establish policies and procedures to guide internal controls staff and facilitate consistent, high quality outcomes and deliverables.
• Share knowledge and develop staff capabilities to strengthen understanding of industry, business and regulatory issues and Internal Controls best practices. Communicate team and organizational objectives; inspire and motivate team members to achieve results.
• Serve as primary point of contact for internal controls business partners and customers; assume overall responsibility for relationship management for specific business areas.
• Work in partnership with business leaders to strengthen governance, risk and control environments by anticipating issues, providing advice and sharing Internal Controls knowledge and best practices.
Bachelor's Degree or equivalent required
10+ years of related experience
SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
Reporting into the VP of Internal Controls and Finance Operational Risk, this director will support the promotion of a rigorous internal controls environment by leveraging their expertise as the SOX lead for the business and partnering with the SOX lead for technology. The ideal candidates will have:
• Demonstrated understanding of SOX control design and testing, scoping and reporting for Internal Controls over Financial Reporting (ICFR)
• Demonstrated deep understanding of and experience in US GAAP, SEC, COSO and PCAOB requirements
• Understanding of the appropriate design and execution of Information Technology General Controls (ITGCs)
• Experience in collaboration with Risk Management partners and Regulatory Affairs partners to ensure SOX is a factor in decision making
• The skills needed to build positive rapport with various levels of internal and external stakeholders, by being their trusted partner and providing insightful consultations to assist process owners to make the best decisions regarding SOX
• Exceptional communication, collaboration and interpersonal skills that are adaptable based on the stakeholder
• The experience and ability to motivate, manage, rally and mentor their team
• Possess project management skills to facilitate timely completion of established project milestones
• Ability to handle highly confidential information in a strictly professional manner
• Critical thinking, analytical and financial analysis skills
• Understanding of a co-sourcing model vs. staff augmentation
• Demonstrated progressive and mature leadership and professionalism through change
• High attention to detail
• Must demonstrate high personal integrity and ethics
• Self-motivated and quick learner
• Area of Study Finance, Accounting and/or Business Administration Finance and/or Accounting
• CPA and/or CIA certifications highly preferred
• 10-15 years of related experience
• Big 4 experience preferred
As a condition of employment with Fannie Mae, any successful job applicant will be required to pass a pre-employment drug screen and to successfully complete a background investigation.
Fannie Mae is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Req ID: 59627