Fannie Mae provides reliable, large-scale access to affordable mortgage credit in communities across our nation. We are the leading source of funding for housing in America, which means more people can buy or rent a home. We are focused on sustaining the housing recovery, improving our company, and leading change to make housing better.
Join our diverse, high-performing team and make a difference as we work together to enable access to a good home.
Operate with considerable latitude in consulting, advising, and representing the company on a variety of highly complex legal matters and projects related to corporate law. Provide legal counsel to management on broad issues affecting the company. Ensure that legal documents regarding board meetings and motions, mergers or acquisitions, contracts, or other corporate actions are prepared properly. Confer with executives regarding corporate initiatives, product development, or regulatory concerns to assess legal risks to the company and plan actions to control or minimize those risks. May provide guidance to paralegals and legal support staff.
KEY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Provide legal advice and strategic expertise by combining skill in corporate law with sound business acumen and knowledge of business goals and objectives of the company or assigned business units.
- Research legal principles and precedents. Gather relevant case related information using multiple sources and methods.
- Drafting, negotiating and executing legal agreements.
- Consult with outside counsel and provide guidance.
- Prepare and conduct more significant legal transactions.
- Participate in developing policies and procedures governing corporate law matters.
- Ensure appropriate staffing and organizational structures are in place by having strategic responsibilities and strong leadership skills.
Juris Doctor degree
10+ years of related experience
SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Relevant corporate and governance experience in a large law firm, or corporate law department.
- Extensive legal experience in a broad range of governance issues affecting large, regulated financial institutions.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent leadership and management skills.
- Excellent organizational and team leadership skills.
- The ability to excel in delivering timely results for stakeholders in a dynamic and fast-paced environment.
- The ability to focus on both the big picture and the details, balancing risk and benefit in decision making.
- The ability to meet deadlines and to work well with peers.
- Prior experience providing corporate secretarial support to a public company board of directors preferred.
As a condition of employment with Fannie Mae, any successful job applicant will be required to successfully complete a background investigation.
Fannie Mae is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Req ID: 58423