Fannie Mae provides reliable, large-scale access to affordable mortgage credit in communities across our nation. We are the leading source of funding for housing in America, which means more people can buy or rent a home. We are focused on sustaining the housing recovery, improving our company, and leading change to make housing better.
Join our diverse, high-performing team and make a difference as we work together to enable access to a good home.
For more information about Fannie Mae, visit www.fanniemae.com/progress.
Operate with considerable latitude in consulting, advising, and representing the company on a variety of highly complex legal matters and projects related to corporate law. Provide legal counsel to management on broad issues affecting the company. Ensure that legal documents regarding board meetings and motions, MERGErs or acquisitions, contracts, or other corporate actions are prepared properly. Confer with executives regarding corporate initiatives, product development, or regulatory concerns to assess legal risks to the company and plan actions to control or minimize those risks. May provide guidance to paralegals and legal support staff.
KEY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Provide legal advice and strategic expertise by combining skill in corporate law with sound business acumen and knowledge of business goals and objectives of the company or assigned business units.
- Research legal principles and precedents. Gather relevant case related information using multiple sources and methods.
- Drafting, negotiating and executing legal agreements.
- Consult with outside counsel and provide guidance.
- Prepare and conduct more significant legal transactions.
- Participate in developing policies and procedures governing corporate law matters.
- Ensure appropriate staffing and organizational structures are in place by having strategic responsibilities and strong leadership skills.
- Juris Doctorate or equivalent required
- Area of study preferred, Law
- 10+ years of related experience
- Legal experience in a broad range of federal tax issues affecting large financial institutions.
- Background in the taxation of financial products, debt instruments and securitization transactions is strongly preferred.
- Ability to exercise independent initiative, including the ability to review a situation, identify issues or opportunities, and pursue an expeditious, balanced resolution.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent advocacy, negotiation, and organizational skills.
- Ability to exercise good judgment after thoroughly considering all relevant facts and balancing differing objectives.
- Ability to work well with clients and peers in a dynamic and fast-paced environment.
- Strong financial/accounting background is preferred.
As a condition of employment with Fannie Mae, any successful job applicant will be required to successfully complete a background investigation.
Req ID: 58203