Fannie Mae provides reliable, large-scale access to affordable mortgage credit in communities across our nation. We are the leading source of funding for housing in America, which means more people can buy or rent a home. We are focused on sustaining the housing recovery, improving our company, and leading change to make housing better.
Join our diverse, high-performing team and make a difference as we work together to enable access to a good home.
For more information about Fannie Mae, visit www.fanniemae.com/progress.
Review and analyze complex financial information to record transactions, prepare financial reports, and review and verify accuracy. Serve as the initial reviewer for journal entries, workpapers, reports, schedules and materials. Operate in a lead role within the team. Train and provide leadership to staff. Assist the Accounting Manager/Director in team planning, assignments and other duties, as needed.
- Compile, review, analyze, and record financial information to the general ledger. Complete monthly closings and effectively explain results to management.
- Review balance sheet and profit and loss statements, consolidated financial statements, and other accounting schedules and reports including externally-required disclosures.
- Review daily, weekly, and monthly reconciliations to ensure general ledger account information is accurate, consistent, traceable, and auditable.
- Respond to inquiries from internal and external customers.
- Identify control weaknesses, communicate to management, and implement changes to tighten and enhance controls and mitigate risk.
- Assist with coordinating and administering assignments, monitoring accounting team progress and managing schedules.
- Review and finalize staff work papers and deliverables with General Accounting Manager/Director.
- Provide and effectively explain requested information to auditors, consultants, and others on highly significant matters requiring coordination.
- Design, modify, install, and/or maintain accounting systems to ensure adequate recognition of highly complex financial transactions.
- Provide feedback and input into staff performance reviews, as applicable, including specific performance feedback for calibrations and talent assessments.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent required
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance preferred
- CPA or CPA in progress strongly preferred
- 8+ years of related experience
- Demonstrated ability to comprehend and implement advanced accounting concepts (e.g. asset impairment, amortization, consolidation accounting, sales and transfer accounting, derivative accounting, etc) Demonstrated ability to comprehend and implement GAAP and SEC financial disclosure requirements.
- Knowledge of securities and securities accounting preferred.
- Previous public accounting experience or accounting operations experience a plus.
- Proficiency in Excel.
- Previous experience with activities relating to accounting transactions, validating account reconciliations and analyzing financial information.
- Demonstrated experience with resolving issues and exceptions in a timely and professional manner.
- Ability to identify opportunities to streamline and automate.
As a condition of employment with Fannie Mae, any successful job applicant will be required to successfully complete a background investigation.
Req ID: 58033