Fannie Mae provides reliable, large-scale access to affordable mortgage credit in communities across our nation. We are the leading source of funding for housing in America, which means more people can buy or rent a home. We are focused on sustaining the housing recovery, improving our company, and leading change to make housing better.
Join our diverse, high-performing team and make a difference as we work together to enable access to a good home.
For more information about Fannie Mae, visit http://www.fanniemae.com/progress
Operate with considerable latitude in consulting, advising, and representing the company on a variety of highly complex legal matters and projects related to corporate or mortgage finance law. Provide legal counsel to management on broad issues affecting the company. Ensure that legal documents, such as those related to board meetings and motions, mortgage business, contracts, or other corporate actions are prepared properly. Confer with management on corporate initiatives, product development, credit risk policies or regulatory concerns to assess legal risks to the company and plan actions to control or minimize those risks. May act as a subject area/technical expert, or key advisor on significant business or product decisions. May manage a specific unit or specialist function, which may include in-house counsel, paralegals and legal support staff.
KEY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Provide legal advice and service by combining skill and knowledge in mortgage finance, real estate law and corporate law with sound business acumen and judgement of business goals and objectives of the company or assigned business units.
- Engage with assigned business units to meet goals. Pursue details and achieve closure on various matters. Provide excellent client service.
- Use business and legal judgment to balance an appropriate level of risk against the business needs in a particular situation. Operate within the framework of allowable corporate behavior and governance, and legal and regulatory compliance.
- Supervise and actively direct outside counsel.
- Work closely with business clients and outside counsel to ensure adherence to important corporate and regulatory policies.
- May plan, guide, and/or oversee the performance of in-house counsel, team members, and/or legal support staff.
- Draft templates. Write documents. May draft comment letters. May analyze legislation that impacts the company and assist the company in responding to inquiries from Congress and government agencies.
- Prepare and manage a due diligence budget. Coordinate with internal departments to ensure proper tracking and accounting of legal due diligence expenses.
- Juris Doctorate or equivalent required
- 8+ years of related experience
SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Legal experience in a broad range of federal tax issues affecting large financial institutions.
- Background in the taxation of financial products, debt instruments and securitization transactions is strongly preferred.
- Ability to exercise independent initiative, including the ability to review a situation, identify issues or opportunities, and pursue an expeditious, balanced resolution.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent advocacy, negotiation, and organizational skills.
- Ability to exercise good judgment after thoroughly considering all relevant facts and balancing differing objectives.
- Ability to work well with clients and peers in a dynamic and fast-paced environment.
- Strong financial/accounting background is preferred.
As a condition of employment with Fannie Mae, any successful job applicant will be required to pass to successfully complete a background investigation.
Fannie Mae is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Req ID: 57267