Fannie Mae Careers
Sr. Internal Auditor
Fannie Mae provides reliable, large-scale access to affordable mortgage credit in communities across our nation. We are the leading source of funding for housing in America, which means more people can buy or rent a home. We are focused on sustaining the housing recovery, improving our company, and leading change to make housing better.
Join our diverse, high-performing team and make a difference as we work together to enable access to a good home.
For more information about Fannie Mae, visit http://www.fanniemae.com/progress
Assist with planning, executing and reporting financial, operational and compliance related audits/projects to facilitate compliance with federal laws, corporate standards and generally accepted accounting principals. Senior Internal Auditors are expected to fully demonstrate generalized knowledge of the mortgage industry and Fannie Mae's business operations and to pursue specialized functional area expertise in one or more areas.
KEY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Successfully perform all key job functions of the Internal Auditor role at a higher level of complexity, scope and autonomy.
- Coordinate and lead audit team meetings to discuss the audit plan, including audit background, preliminary objectives/scope (identified during the Annual Audit Planning process), audit budget, audit execution schedule, affected departments, contacts and expectations. Take ownership and independently manage subsets of audits with minimal oversight from Audit Manager/Director. Conduct first-level review of Internal Auditor work and documentation; leverage Internal Audit Manager/Director guidance as needed.
- Review audit documentation; begin to determine risks and the potential impact of risks on the organization. Perform root cause analysis on exceptions identified during audits. Validate and document Risk Control Matrix; write test procedures based on Risk Control Matrix. Draft audit reports; revise and finalize with Audit Manager/Director. Write ICIs, discuss with audit management and validate issues with customers; assist with additional report writing as needed.
- Assist with tracking results of prior audits, identifying audit themes across organizations and determining if appropriate corrective action has been taken regarding significant audit concerns. Contribute to strengthening and improving the governance, risk and control environment of the organization; share issues, ideas and recommendations with the Internal Audit Manager/Director and Internal Audit teams.
- Provide informal, day-to-day coaching and guidance to Internal Auditors. Share knowledge of specialty areas to build knowledge and capabilities across Internal Audit.
- Build and maintain relationships with business partners at the manager and staff levels. Provide advice and share Internal Audit knowledge with business partner managers and staff to strengthen governance, risk and control environments, as appropriate.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent required
- CIA, CPA or CFE
- 3+ years of Public accounting Mortgage Banking and/or previous Fannie Mae-specific experience
SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Assist with quarterly and annual risk assessment process and drafting initial audit plan. Document details of planning meetings. Contribute to the development and maintenance of risk-based audit plans.
- Assist with the maintenance of the Internal Audit methodologies and related templates that adhere to the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA), regulatory agency guidance, and industry best practices.
- Assist with tracking results of audits, MRA’s and any control deficiencies, identifying themes across organizations and determining if appropriate corrective action has been taken regarding significant audit concerns.
- Build and maintain relationships with business partners at the manager and staff levels.
- Strong critical thinking and data analytical skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and effectively apply judgement to reach appropriately reasoned conclusions.
As a condition of employment with Fannie Mae, any successful job applicant will be required to pass to successfully complete a background investigation.
Fannie Mae is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Req ID: 56440