Fannie Mae Careers
Commercial Real Estate Lending Attorney
Fannie Mae provides reliable, large-scale access to affordable mortgage credit in communities across our nation. We are the leading source of funding for housing in America, which means more people can buy or rent a home. We are focused on sustaining the housing recovery, improving our company, and leading change to make housing better.
Join our diverse, high-performing team and make a difference as we work together to enable access to a good home.
For more information about Fannie Mae, visit http://www.fanniemae.com/progress
Operate with considerable latitude in consulting, advising, and representing the company on a variety of highly complex legal matters and projects related to corporate law. Provide legal counsel to management on broad issues affecting the company. Ensure that legal documents regarding board meetings and motions, MERGErs or acquisitions, contracts, or other corporate actions are prepared properly. Confer with executives regarding corporate initiatives, product development, or regulatory concerns to assess legal risks to the company and plan actions to control or minimize those risks.
KEY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Provide legal advice and service by combining skill in corporate law with sound business acumen and knowledge of business goals and objectives of the company or assigned business units.
- Engage with assigned business units to meet goals. Pursue details and achieve closure on various matters. Provide excellent client service.
- Use business and legal judgment to balance an appropriate level of risk against the business needs in a particular situation. Operate within the framework of allowable corporate behavior and governance, and legal and regulatory compliance.
- Supervise and actively direct outside counsel.
- Work closely with business clients and outside counsel to ensure adherence to important corporate and regulatory policies.
- Draft templates. Write documents. May draft comment letters. May analyze legislation that impacts the company and assist the company in responding to inquiries from Congress and government agencies.
- Prepare and manage a due diligence budget. Coordinate with internal departments to ensure proper tracking and accounting of legal due diligence expenses.
- May plan, guide, and/or oversee the performance of legal support staff.
- Juris Doctorate Degree or equivalent required.
- 8+ years of related experience.
- Experience negotiating and closing complex Commercial Real Estate Finance Transactions--Minimum 7-10 years.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas is highly desirable: counterparty risk management, enterprise risk management, mergers and acquisitions, commercial mortgage lending selling and servicing contracts, commercial mortgage servicing and operations, affordable housing, communications and marketing legal support.
- Experience providing coordination and oversight of outside counsel.
- Experience working independently in fast-paced environment.
- Experience communicating with clients and building trusted advisor relationships.
- Experience working in a collaborative legal or business environment.
As a condition of employment with Fannie Mae, any successful job applicant will be required to successfully complete a background investigation.
Fannie Mae is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Req ID: 56074