Fannie Mae Careers
Sr. Infrastructure Solution Engineer
Fannie Mae provides reliable, large-scale access to affordable mortgage credit in communities across our nation. We are the leading source of funding for housing in America, which means more people can buy or rent a home. We are focused on sustaining the housing recovery, improving our company, and leading change to make housing better.
Join our diverse, high-performing team and make a difference as we work together to enable access to a good home.
For more information about Fannie Mae, visit http://www.fanniemae.com/progress
In general, the role of the technical engineer is to develop application design and/or design IT infrastructure components to meet business and technical requirements. IT infrastructure may include systems, middleware, database, storage and/or network infrastructure. The engineer must demonstrate the ability to efficiently code, test & certify technology platforms, software and applications. Troubleshoot, debug application(s) and/or IT infrastructure component(s) and recommend enhancements for stable operations. Maintain and patch systems, software and applications to eliminate bug fixes, security vulnerabilities and maintain technology currency of systems and applications. Document design and engineering standards; develop key performance metrics and operational guidelines for consistent & stable design, build, implement and operational processes.
The selected candidate will be responsible for designing optimized infrastructure solutions for applications hosted within Fannie Mae. This will involve working closely with development leads and application architects, performing technical assessments of existing environments and working with vendors as necessary to understand the requirements of the application. The Solution Engineer is responsible for designing and documenting the infrastructure solution, calculating the costs, and justifying the solution sizing to the appropriate business needs. Appropriate designs will conform to corporate standards, and utilize shared, hosted platforms where possible. All solutions must take into account the availability and security requirements of the application and address those in a cost-appropriate manner.
The successful candidate will be a recognized expert in key technologies in Unix, Windows, VMware, Database, IT infrastructure architect and/or public cloud technologies, along with the associated software technologies. Candidate should also have a solid understanding across a broad range of other infrastructure technologies including storage and networks. The candidate should possess an interest in improving their understanding of all technical areas. Strong communication and presentation skills are essential. The role is an excellent opportunity to work alongside business and development managers across the firm, to learn the portfolio of business applications at Fannie Mae and to play a key part in the design and rollout of future infrastructure solutions.
KEY JOB FUNCTIONS
Produce detailed documentation describing the solution design, including the technical implementation details, and cost estimates.
Ensure adherence to current standards by collaborating with Enterprise Architect group and platform engineers
Ensure justification is sufficient to pass internal governance.
Document the details in a set of work orders to enable the solution to be built correctly the first time by fulfillment team
Perform consultancy engagements with application teams or business units to make recommendations on long term planning and help them to understand the direction of the FNM IT organization.
Perform or assist in performing environment analyses where there have been issues with performance or availability.
Create and optimize weekly and monthly metrics for the team.
- Interface, partner, and influence stakeholders to promote simplification, standardization and innovation and to ensure risk are understood and minimized
- Establish policies and standard operating procedures to enable consistent and repeatable execution
- Propose appropriate changes to standards, policies, and procedure based on emerging business/technology trends and operational challenges with the existing guidelines utilizing performance metric and operational SLA
- Plan for adequate capability on systems based on utilization metrics and planned projects to establish supply and demand forecasts
- Design and verify the technology solution meets business and technical requirements and is in compliance with enterprise architecture guidelines, technology standards and methodology, and compliance and security standards
- Maintain and operate the application design. It includes but not limited to monitoring, performance and capacity metrics , SLAs, resiliency and disaster recovery plans
- Define success criteria for validation of technology solution and application designs
- Develop and document an integrated test plan for certification of technology solutions and application design in compliance with existing best practices
- Provide work guidance or technical assistance to less senior engineers
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent required
- 6+ years of related experience
6-10+ years of server support, engineering, or solution design experience
SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
The team acts as an authoritative infrastructure system design group and covers 4 main areas:
- Technical understanding of the infrastructure technology that support our applications
- Supporting the Application Development book of work
- Maintaining technical relationships between infrastructure teams, enterprise architect and application developers.
- Each team member has a high level of key technology solutions in Unix, Windows, VMware, Database, Middleware, Network, Database, Storage and/or Data center process and procedures in general.
- Projects are assigned to team members based on the application development group involved Solution engineers will work as a group to provide solutions leveraging best skills and expert from everyone.
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications and characteristics:
- Thorough knowledge of operating systems, cloud technology, clustering, database, and other associated enterprise technologies.
- Solid understanding of Infrastructure architect in high availability, scalability, resiliency and disaster recovery solution designs
- Experience with hardware server technologies, Cross-platform operating system experience is highly desirable.
- Thorough knowledge of virtualization technologies particularly VMWare ESX server.
- Good understanding of network topology, DMZ solutions.
- Understanding of SAN technologies and storage replication is a plus
- Understanding of networking principles including routing, and basic protocols including multicast.
- Ability to understand server utilization statistics, identify bottlenecks and translate application load requirements into server utilization projections.
As a condition of employment with Fannie Mae, any successful job applicant will be required to pass to successfully complete a background investigation.
Fannie Mae is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Req ID: 55423