Fannie Mae Careers
Senior Data Scientist
Are you interested in helping solve today's most critical housing challenges? In simplest terms, Fannie Mae serves the people who house America. We work at the heart of housing by providing reliable, affordable mortgage financing in all markets at all times, buying loans that banks and other lenders originate, so they can fund new loans. This gives more people the opportunity to buy, refinance, or rent homes and apartments. Creating these opportunities is what drives the people who work at Fannie Mae.
For more information about Fannie Mae, visit http://www.fanniemae.com/progress.
Single Family (SF) Analytics is looking for an experienced associate to work as a Data Engineer supporting an Advanced Analytics and Machine Learning (ML) team. The role would require knowing all aspects of the data behind SF business. The associate will collaborate with a team of modelers, data scientists and business users to develop technical data solutions for various ML projects supporting the SF business. Use advanced mathematical, analytical, or econometric tools to create/implement algorithms that will be used in analytical or product development processes. Using these tools, develop or refine computer applications that provide deeper analysis of prospective asset performance, asset pricing, new asset classes, or information needed to measure or hedge risk. Provide ongoing analysis of new products or asset classes, and suggest program modifications as necessary. May test applications for accuracy and functionality before putting them into service.
KEY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Confer with product managers, marketing staff, capital market staff, or business unit management to determine analytical or product-related needs regarding product, investment instrument, market activity, or complex transaction to be analyzed.
- Use one or more analytical tools from a suite of mathematical/application tools to perform appropriate analysis on specified product, transaction, market activity, or investment vehicle that has multiple variables affecting potential outcomes.
- Report in quantitative manner on parameters of proposed purchase, sale, marketing action, structure of transaction or market activity, or risk factors and the degree to which they could affect outcomes.
- Participate with capital markets staff in exercises to value derivatives or other complex products, or to revise models used to perform these valuations.
- Design test cases and test applications for systems used for a variety of analytical, pricing, risk management or credit pricing to ensure the business needs are met and analytics are correctly implemented.
- Redefine and implement the components of new risk indicators. Consult with the business owners, design and implement an interface to record key indicators, research industry best practices of analyzing and reporting key performance indicators.
- Provide technical guidance or consultation to less senior staff. Serve as technical lead on projects to develop more accurate or refined analytical applications used in pricing, valuation, risk assessment, and the like.
- Collaborate with team members to formulate innovative solutions for data required in ML applications.
- Work in a dynamic environment with emphasis on continuous learning and focus on innovative ideas and teamwork.
- Prepare, impute and analyze large data sets using data mining methods to search for patterns in data to discover hidden patterns and data improvement opportunities.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent required
- 6+ years of related experience
SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Physics, Statistics or related are of study is required; Master’s or higher degree is preferred
- 10+ years of related work experience is preferred
- Understanding of RDBMS and ETL
- Experience with Database design and Data pipeline application development
- Experience working with Oracle, Netezza, AWS, Spark, Hive/HBASE, RDS/Athena, etc.
- Experience creating data pipelines using internal data and web scraping of external data
- UNIX shell scripting experience
- Knowledge of Fannie Mae SF business processes and associated data
- Excitement to create robust big data pipelines and analyze massive data sets
- Strong programming ability in SQL and at least one of R, Python, Spark, etc.
- Understanding of probability, statistical inference, and numerical analysis
- Excitement to develop enterprise scale analytical solutions that work with huge data sets and solve business challenges
- Experience with large scale data analytics
- Strong command of UNIX shell scripting and Oracle/Netezza Databases
- Ability to communicate technical design solutions and analytics results to audiences at various levels of the organization
- Must be able to support integration of Predictive and Prescriptive Analytics in applications to develop insights and illuminate future courses of action
- Must have experience investigating, proposing, and implementing new algorithms and technologies to enhance analytics capabilities
- Creative and self-motivated, excellent analytic and problem-solving skills
- Ability to develop proficiency in new skills rapidly focused on solving business problems
- Strong technical writing and communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and team player mentality
As a condition of employment with Fannie Mae, any successful job applicant will be required to pass a pre-employment drug screen and to successfully complete a background investigation.
Fannie Mae is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Req ID: 55350