Fannie Mae Careers
Financial Accountant I
Fannie Mae provides reliable, large-scale access to affordable mortgage credit in communities across our nation. We are the leading source of funding for housing in America, which means more people can buy or rent a home. We are focused on sustaining the housing recovery, improving our company, and leading change to make housing better.
Join our diverse, high-performing team and make a difference as we work together to enable access to a good home.
For more information about Fannie Mae, visit http://www.fanniemae.com/progress
Operate with considerable latitude in performing highly complex duties related to preparing and analyzing financial information to record transactions, prepare financial reports, and review and verify accuracy. Provide value-added expertise to consultants, auditors, and others in development of new concepts, techniques, and standards. Utilize wide-ranging experience to conduct research and problem-solving. May operate in a lead role within the team.
KEY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Compile, review, analyze, and record financial information to the general ledger. Complete monthly closings.
- Prepare balance sheet and profit and loss statements, consolidated financial statements, and other accounting schedules and reports.
- Prepare daily, weekly, and monthly reconciliations to ensure general ledger account information is accurate, consistent, traceable, and auditable.
- Execute and manage timely and accurate transactions.
- Identify control weaknesses, communicate to management, and operate in a lead capacity in making remedial changes to tighten and enhance controls and mitigate risk.
- Design and produce reports.
- Conduct research and analyses on highly complex issues. Devise creative and effective solutions.
- Provide requested information to auditors, consultants, and others on highly significant matters requiring coordination.
- Design, modify, install, and/or maintain accounting systems to ensure adequate recognition of financial transactions.
- May perform highly complex projects or participate as a team member on projects at the highest level of complexity.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent required
- 6+ years of related experience
SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Advanced knowledge of accounting procedures and methods, and the ability to apply them to complex transactions
- Ability to absorb information and data from multiple sources, apply analytical skills, and produce thoughtful and strategic recommendations for ultimate presentation to the customer
- Advanced proficiency in Excel and working with large data sets
- Demonstrated ability to work cross functionality and build strong relationships with business and technical staff is required
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to collaborate with colleagues across the organization in a matrix environment
- Willingness and ability to adapt to changes in priorities, assignments, and processes
- Prior experience in process improvement or automation preferred
- Accounting experience in secondary mortgage market preferred
As a condition of employment with Fannie Mae, any successful job applicant will be required to successfully complete a background investigation.
Fannie Mae is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Req ID: 55132